Routine brake service keeps you safe! Your car's brakes should be inspected regularly and repaired as needed to make sure they are working properly. You don't want to find out that you have a brake system problem when you are driving.
Two-Step Brake Inspection
We perform a two-step process when we do brake service. First, we test drive the vehicle to see how the brake system functions.
Next, we do a visual inspection of all components to include:
- Measure pad and shoe thickness
- Check for even wear of the pads and shoes
- Check rotors for run out and hot spots
- Check hardware to make sure it is working properly and that it is adjusted properly
- Inspect the wheel cylinders, brake lines and brake master cylinder for leaks
- Inspect calipers for wear, free movement and fluid leaks
- Check the level and condition of the brake fluid
- Inspect for proper routing and placement of the brake and antilock brake sensors.
All of these components need to be in good shape and working properly for your car or truck to have 100% brake system effectiveness while driving.
The brake fluid may seem like a simple item to inspect. You look at the reservoir and it’s full, you are good to go. Right? Not necessarily.
Brake fluid becomes contaminated over time with absorption of moisture and copper. This decreases the effectiveness of the hydraulics within your brake system and causes a less responsive brake pedal to the touch or feel. The result is a slight delay or reduction in braking power. That means you need brake service.
Get Your Brakes Inspected Regularly
Have your brake system inspected with each oil change or at minimum every six months or about every 6,000 miles. If the inspection reveals any issues with the brake system, for your own safety and the safety of others, have it repaired. You want the brake system of your vehicle operating at 100% effectiveness.
We will recommend how often to replace brake fluid and can provide brake fluid flush service.
If you have any questions about your car's brake system please give us a call we are happy to help.